Lake Mburo National Park
Lake Mburo Wildlife Safari
Lake Mburo National Park is located conveniently close to the highway that connects Kampala to the parks of western Uganda. It is the smallest of Uganda’s savannah national parks. It’s a home to 350 bird species as well as zebras, impalas, elands, buffalos, giraffes, oribi, Defassa waterbuck, leopard, hippo, hyena, topi and reedbuck.
Together with 13 other lakes in the area, Lake Mburo forms part of a 50km-long wetland system linked by a swamp. Five of these lakes lie within the park’s borders. Once covered by open savanna, this supports the healthy population of Buffalos, Warthog, bushpig and hippopotamus.
Lake Mburo is notably blessed with over 315 bird species and probably the best place to view acacia-associated birds, Rwonyo is a good zone to see the mosque swallow, blackbellied bustard,bare-faced-go away bird and Ruppell’s starling. A handful of birds is recorded essentially the southern ground hornbill and black throated barbet.
Day 1 (Kampala- Lake Mburo)
- This morning you’ll meet up with the Wild Breeze Safaris’ guide & head off to Lake Mburo.
- You will make a Stop at the Equator & marvel at the amazing illustrations by a local guide to prove that indeed it’s the center of the earth.
- We shall then proceed to Lake Mburo & arrive in time for Lunch. After Lunch, we proceed to the Lake ready for a 2hours boat trip where you expect to see a variety of bird species, Hippos & other species of animals. The calmness of the lake with animals coming to drink water is another memorable experience.
Day 2 (Morning game drive and or safari walk)
- Awake to the whispers of the wild and have your early morning breakfast.
- Afterwards, the guide will drive you for a morning game drive or walk depending on your preference. Lake Mburo is the only park in Uganda where you can take a safari on foot. Expect to see, Impalas, Zebras, Elands and much more as mentioned in the introduction.
- Aftrer the drive or walk, we return to the Lodge for lunch. Lunch can also be catered for en-route back to Kampala.
- Later, enjoy your scenic drive to back to Kampala or Entebbe.
- You will stop at the equator for pictures and later continue to Kampala.
End of Tour!
NOTE: We can arrange accommodation before and after the trip at a budget friendly cost to ease convenience. Price per person from $800 PP (*Minimum 2 persons)
- Ground Transportation (4WD vehicle) throughout the trip in a private 4WD tour vehicle
- Accommodation as per options in the itinerary
- Meals as indicated on the aforesaid Meal Plans.
- Activities as stipulated on the safari program
- Services of an English-speaking driver/guide
- Bottled drinking water while on safari
- All park fees
- Entry permit/visas for Uganda if required.
- Airfare to & from Uganda and/or domestic airfare.
- First & last night’s accommodation in Kampala or Entebbe.
- Meals (if taking the budget option) & drinks apart from those served for breakfast
- Beverages, tips, souvenirs & all items of a personal nature
- Any deviation from the suggested program
- Tips & gratuities
- Souvenirs & items of a personal nature like telephone calls
- Any activity or accommodation NOT mentioned in the itinerary.
- Porters & other luggage service.
- Any personal insurance covers.
5 Days Lake Mburo & Mabamba Shoebill birding Safari.
Price starting from 1367 USD P/P. (2 PAX)
5 Days L.Mburo & Mabamba Safari gives a chance to explore Uganda’s bird life. Uganda is known for its variety of bird species that can be spotted in almost all tourist destinations. Uganda’s famous bird species population is one of the highest in Africa with more than 1010 bird species. Enjoy a memorable encounter of some rare species like the shoebill stork at the Mabamba bay, cap it up with a visit to the rich zebra, Impala, Cape buffalo, and Giraffe concentration in Lake Mburo National Park which also dubs as a birder’s paradise with more than 350 bird species.
Day 1 - Arrival Airport pickup/ Birding & Nature walk in Botanical gardens and U.W.E.C.
- You will be picked at the airport by your assigned WildBreeze Safaris drive-guide & transferred to your Hotel for relaxation and briefing about the entire journey. Depending on your time of arrival, you may opt to take a walk to the Entebbe Botanical gardens home to several birds and some primates.
- If time allows, you will go for a birding experience in the Uganda Wildlife Educational Centre (UWEC) formally known as the Zoo.
- This magnificent place has attracted over 170 species of wild birds. Among them, 10 species of Weavers such as the rare Northern Masked Weaver, Golden Backed, African paradise, Baglafect Northern Brown Throated, Grosbeak, Black Necked and many others. 5 species of flycatchers, Red bellied, Crested shrike flycatcher, Lead colored and Swamp flycatcher.
- Raptors such as the Gabar Goshawk, small banded snake Eagle, Shikra, African Goshawk, African Fish Eagle, African Hobby and many more species.
- You will get an additional spice up of several captive animals and reptiles. That will be the ultimate welcome to the pearl of Africa.
Accommodation: 2 Friends Entebbe Beach Hotel Meal plan - Lunch and Dinner.
Day 2 - Transfer to Mabamba Wetlands (Birding)
- After an early morning breakfast meet the guide for a briefing and afterward head to Mabamba wetlands. This is going to be a whole day’s activity.
- Mabamba wetlands are known for the biggest population of the famous Shoebill.
- Watch other birds like the African Jacana, Yellow Billed Duck, Pygmy Goose, White Faced Whistling Duck; Grey and Black Headed Heron Moorhen, long Toed Plover, African water Rail among others.
- In case you missed an opportunity to visit the U.W.E.C the previous day, you can make time off in the afternoon and utilize it to go birding in that marvelous place.
Accommodation: 2 Friends Entebbe Beach Hotel Meal plan - Full Board.
Day 3 -Transfer to Lake Mburo - Game drive.
- After breakfast, your guide will pick you from your hotel and drive towards Lake Mburo in Western Uganda.
- You will have a brief stopover at the Eqautor for photo moments.
- As you enter Lake Mburo National park, expect to see birds like the Bare faced Go-away, African Grey Hornbill, Green wood, Hoope, Emerald spotted wood Dove, Greater Blue Eared Starling among others.
- You will have lunch at your lodge.
- Later, you will go for an afternoon game drive in the swampy Valleys of Warukiri and Miriti the key birding spots.
- You will return for dinner and overnight at your Lodge.
Accommodation: Muhingo Lodge - Full Board.
Day 4 - Nature walks & Boat cruise.
- Early after breakfast, you will head out for a safari on foot.
- Lake Mburo is the only park where safari on foot can be done. With an armed ranger visit Rubanga Forest on foot.
- This is a good spot for birders, but arrangement must be done prior to the trip.
- Expect to see the rare Red-faced Barbet, harrier hawk, shoebill stork, the narina trogn, green pigeon, the double toothed barbet and the grey backed cameroptera.
- Return to your Lodge for Lunch and in the afternoon you will go for a boat cruise.
- The lake and the salt lick areas are the bird viewing platforms. View some wildlife too as they come by the water banks to quench their thirst, later dinner and overnight at your Lodge.
Accommodation: Muhingo Lodge- Full Board.
- Early in the morning after breakfast, check out of your Lodge and drive back to Kampala/Entebbe.
- Stopover at the equator for some water experiments and Lunch.
- Arrive in the afternoon and head out to the African craft village for rare souvenirs.
- The driver-guide will later drop you at the airport to catch your flight back home.
Meal plan: Breakfast and Lunch.
- An English speaking driver/Guide
- All ground transportation with a 4WD Safari car
- All activity fees
Park entry fees
- Accommodation as per the itinerary
- Airport transfers
- All expenses of personal nature, laundry, and tips
- Any optional activity
- All drinks apart from those served during breakfast
- Meals and drinks not mentioned
- International flights